Saturday, April 23, 2011

Speaking Of Pop-Up Books

Have you noticed the steady stream of national TV ads that makes use of simulated pop-up books? For companies like Bridgestone and JP Morgan Chase, and brands like Coors Light, Lexus and Chevy Malibu?*

I have some ideas as to why I like pop-up books, why I think they can be effective teaching tools, etc. (I’ve incorporated pop-ups and other paper engineering techniques in a "structural bookwork" about general management; see my Imagined Conversation post.) How come, though, the sudden widespread use and fascination?

I’m sure it has something to do with animation technologies that are making production more practical. And it’s probably easier now to locate (inspiring) examples and practitioners than ever before. But, is there something pro advertisers know about their audiences that’s leading 'em to believe pop-ups would be effective on TV? Is it just a fad amongst creative directors? Should we expect to see more?

Anybody got any ideas?

Here’s one of my favorite examples -- this for The Timken Company of good ol’ Canton, Ohio:



*Some other cos. and brands to add to the running list: Pearl Opticians. Mastercard. Ford Focus. Musselman’s Apple Sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments about this particular posting -- or wish to reach its maker about anything else -- fire away here!